Monday, October 24, 2011

Henri Stats

Today Hen went to the doctor for a shot - he was a trooper and after screaming bloody murder for a few seconds he calmed down and was his cheerful self about a minute later. They didn't measure his height but he weighs 9.7 kilos which is 21.38 pounds. While I waited for some paperwork I was pretty amazed when a (well intentioned) girl that works there handed Henri a small sticker, which he promptly stuck in his mouth (which I promptly removed) - Still not getting the whole age appropriate toy thing she went off and brought him a balloon which he of course starts trying to consume - even though there wasn't a real choking hazard I felt there was a popping hazard with Hen's little sharp teeth and all... 

Henri's crawling skills continue to improve. He is now starting to move from room to room - only to follow me, though, he hasn't started to explore on his own. Sometimes when I leave him alone in a room and he notices he assumes this little angry baby march to where I am. He trudges along very slowly, legs squeaking against the floor with each step, head hanging down, with a tortured face and an angry little cry. Strangely, I think it's the cutest thing. When he gets close he stops, sits down and lifts his elbows so I can scoop him up.

I've been a bit homesick lately. As I'm winding down for the day I'll look at the clock and imagine the day starting for my family and friends in the U.S. Henri is down at 7 p.m. - by then my friends on the East Coast are up and getting ready for work but my friends on the West Coast won't be up for a while. Just thinking about everyone going about their lives 12-15 hours behind me back home makes me sad. I guess the vast difference in time zones makes the distance more real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment