Saturday, August 4, 2012

Typhoon Day


Last week Typhoon Saola made landfall in Taiwan, making it the first Typhoon, or named storm for that matter, that I’ve ever contended with. In Atlanta I remember being soaked by outer bands of hurricanes that hit Florida, but that was nothing compared to this. I think it was relatively weak but very wet storm, dumping nearly six feet of rain in some parts! The winds were 60-90 miles an hour – They knocked down trees and such – roads and sidewalks were blocked with fallen branches the next day. Miraculously we didn’t lose electricity! It’s pretty freaky to see your windows shaking under the pressure and listening to the howling wind and hearing the crashes of who knows what banging around outside. I admit that I was scared. I hated going to bed, not knowing if I’d wake up to a window breaking – but as with most things it turned out okay. I say that – but the storm killed close to 40 people – mostly in the Philippines. It’s hard to believe that the same storm that passed over me ended that many people’s lives.

It basically rained all week - and being rained in ALL week with a toddler is NOT fun. Most of what I had lined up for the week was cancelled thanks to Soala.

Here are a few pics of how we kept ourselves busy on Typhoon Day (the day after the Typhoon hit overnight – offices were closed, by mandate of the government – even my go-to rainy day place – Takashimaya – was closed until 2:30 p.m…. the horror!)
We caffeinated...

We colored...
We built...
We rocked... and finally... we bounced.

No comments:

Post a Comment