Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Henri the Popular

Here in Taipei I have noticed that the locals like them some baby. They aren't very subtle about it, either... In Chicago maybe a baby lover would venture to gaze lovingly into your stroller - the more daring might even bend down to get a better look - and the bold would touch a cheek or a hand (only for me to coincidentally adjust the shade of the stroller to effectively block such unwelcome contact)... 

Here it is a constant love fest. 

I miss elevators that I have called because during the wait Henri's fans have gathered around the stroller to admire him. When I'm walking outside the hotel with him there is constant rubber necking to see inside the stroller.  They love his eyes and the ones who speak English all say "his eyes are so big" with the accompanying hand gesture of jazz hands sprouting from the sides of their face. 

Today during lunch I was standing Henri up in my lap and he was facing behind me. I notice he's smiling so I turn around only to find two ladies assembled behind me waving at him and talking to him.  

The staff here at the hotel are starting to take an even deeper interest in him - today one of the assistant chefs asked if she could make him some baby food since I couldn't and I accepted -  Puréed sweet potatoes and carrots arrived a few hours later from room service! One of the asst. managers gave Henri a bag of rice wafers for teething. A different manager even held Henri while I ate once when I was on my own.  

Anyone who has been around me since Henri was born knows that I'm a bit protective - I think I nearly tackled a lady once for just looking at him when he was a newborn (to be fair, she was a bend down into the stroller gazer). All of this affection towards Henri is forcing me to ease up a little. Of course outside of the hotel I remain vigilant and uber protective. And today I did want to pull one young ladies hair who I had never met who literally ran over when she saw us and bent over in his face, started grabbing his sides and making the mandarin equivalent of "boogie woogie boogie" noises. I let it slide since she works at the hotel...

Overall I think the attention is sweet and it makes me feel quite welcome in the hotel.

So Henri is a little star - at least around the hotel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment