Friday, August 23, 2013

A Typhoon, the Potty and Dinosaurs

This week has been a big week.
 
 It’s the week before school starts. It’s also the week that Typhoon Trami forced us to be indoors for about 3 days thanks to torrential downpours… which made this week a great week for potty training!  
 
Luckily this typhoon just brought a lot of rain and not much in terms of wind. But more importantly it brought a perfect opportunity to potty train. We were forced indoors hence we didn’t have to risk too many outings without the diaper safety net.
 
Wow. No one tells you that you will actually spend more time thinking about poo and pee after the diapers come off! A 30 second diaper change is now replaced with about 1,000 trips to the potty.  Seriously and how long will I have to stay on him to go to the potty? Another few months? Try years…  Years and years. I’ll probably still be asking him if he needs to go on our way to drop him off at college.
Henri had three accidents the first day we attempted a full day of wearing underwear.  Since that day he has had a grand total of zero accidents! But, this would only be the third accident free day, so I guess it’s a little too soon to celebrate… He also isn’t telling me when it’s time to potty but instead I’m telling him – so he won’t be potty trained until it’s his idea – but I’m still proud of him. He gets it.   

Today I took Henri to school for a one hour visitation with his classmates and teachers in his classroom. It took Henri a little while to warm up to the room but eventually he was pretending to sweep the floor, playing with cars, blocks, coloring… He even started interacting with the teachers. At first Henri was clinging to me and hiding behind my legs. I think next week will be a little rougher than I anticipated on the separation anxiety front.


Yesterday was a treat because Maxime was off of work in the middle of the week! We celebrated by visiting a dinosaur exhibit at the Taiwan National Science Education Center. Henri loves watching Dinosaur Train so I thought he might enjoy it. Along with bone recreations, they had true to size models of dinosaurs that were animated. They even had some that would start moving after you pushed a button so Henri loved that. When I ask him to tell people what he saw he doesn’t mention the dinosaurs, just the buttons.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment