Friday, August 9, 2013

Happy Birthday to me…

Yesterday I turned the big 3-5. It was a great birthday because my husband and friends conspired to have a surprise birthday dinner for me. Not only did that make me feel very special it was a lot of fun. I even got lots of presents which doesn’t happen every birthday so I’m very grateful! 

The morning started with me listening to Maxime whispering to Henri, coaching him to say “happy birthday” when he brought him in to where I was “sleeping.” So when they did come in, Henri mimicked Maxime by saying Happy Birthday but only in a whisper (which was cute). Then two of my closest friends here took me to have pancakes at the new American style diner here in Tianmu. Later we swam and the kids played and it was an enjoyable day and I was supposed to meet Maxime for a dinner, just the two of us. The girls I had spent the day with basically had to lie to me all day to make it a surprise dinner. I’m still laughing at how creative they had to get to explain inconsistencies like why my friend had a babysitter coming over (she created a whole backstory to where she was going and who with….). It made for an enjoyable evening and the best birthday I’ve had in a long while.  

I think I’ve readjusted to being here. I’m so happy basically everyone has returned from their summer vacations and school is just a few short weeks away. I’ve even gotten in a few tennis games a week so this always cheers me. Henri has modeled twice in the last couple of weeks and has one more shoot on Sunday afternoon. I’m hoping that’s it until the winter season since it’s actually a lot of work for both of us. Today’s shoot was rough because it was shot at a very small antique store. There was no room to spread out and relax between shots and it was a room where everything in it was a “no no.” So I had to be on top of Henri the entire time. Luckily it was an easy shoot, just three outfits. 

This week also marks our 2-year anniversary in Taiwan. What a life changing two years it has been. The first year I just survived and only started to thrive. I learned a lot about myself that year and what it’s like to be a foreigner. This last year has been a lot better – Henri is growing into an unbelievable little boy. He is so sweet , funny,  smart and really cute to top it off.  I have amazing friends. People I really love and respect.  Taiwan has become my home as much as it can be outside of my country and away from my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment