Friday, April 11, 2014

Henri at 3

I’m a month late in writing this… But Henri at three – He’s pretty awesome. Some of my favorite things he says and does are:

1.       Anytime someone asks him “How are you?” he holds his hand up and says “THREE!!!” He still can’t really make the correct sign for the no. 3 so it just looks like he’s throwing a gang sign. At first I tried to explain the difference between “how are you” and “how old are you” but it’s cute and I know it won’t last so I’m just letting it be.

2.       Henri LOVES to play hide and go seek (see first set of pictures below). He doesn’t really understand the concept 100%.  He thinks that as long as his face is hidden he is hidden – and when it is my turn, he wants me to hide in the exact same spot every time and instead of “finding” me he just stands nearby and giggles nervously until I jump out and say “here I am!”

3.       He is very concerned about Maxime and I’s feet getting cold and is constantly bringing us our slippers. Even when it’s 80 degrees outside and the last thing I want to do is put on furry slippers - but he waits so sweetly to watch me put them on…

4.       He always asks me if I’m happy. If I’m not he says “Please be happy, mommy.” It is a very affective way of melting my heart and getting at least partially out of trouble.

5.       Right now his favorite book is Steam Train, Dream Train. The child cannot get enough of trains. When I read it to him he tries to recite it as I’m reading it – He doesn’t really have it memorized so he really just says the last word or two of each sentence about a half second delay after me.

6.       He is getting really physical. His idea of fun involves lots of running, jumping, climbing and pushing.  At school they have a “dramatic play area” that they change up every month. Right now it’s a fairytale theme. They constructed a small castle that one child can enter at a time. Today his teacher told me that Henri likes to pretend to be the Big Bad Wolf who huffs and puffs and eventually knocks the castle over.  A lot.  

If you aren’t careful he will knock you over because another one of his new moves is running full speed at you and with all his might smacking right into you. Jumping on the bed (while reciting the accompanying song about monkeys jumping on beds, falling off and bumping their heads…) is a favorite activity. He often asks me to give him a hug so he can run at me and knock me over mid-hug.   

He is also testing out lots of new facial expressions that typically look kind of angry and then he growls and roars… the tough act is just a façade though – he won’t let us watch Frozen because of a “big snowman” and I have to fast forward through “scary” parts of certain G-rated Disney movies.

7.       He tells on himself. When I leave the room at naptime and later come back he informs me of how he’s been jumping on the bed, as well as turning his night light off and on.

I was telling my friend the other day that I feel like I miss Henri. My little baby has been replaced by a rambunctious little boy and while I’m so excited to watch Henri grow I’m also mourning the end of the baby stage. Hen is really becoming his own little person now.  He is such a great kid – he is concerned about other people. He wakes up happy and ready to start the day. I feel like I’m not doing him justice trying to explain who he is at three. He’s just a solid little guy who I love with all my heart.
First I must share with you some of his hiding techniques:





And here are a few recent shots:

Hen is now a skilled climber at the park.

Thanks to the relaxed nature of Taiwan's construction scene we are able to snap pictures of Henri with heavy machinery...

A recent play date with Henri's lady friends

Hen and Boots

Taipei 101 towering behind two boys obviously excited about going to the birthday party we were headed to.

The big tunnel slide no longer so big...

Henri at CKS

Scooting at the Airplane Park with friend Ryan who prefers scooting hand in hand with his mum
Train watching
This picture of a recent catalogue captures a bit of the little mean faces Henri has been practicing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment