Monday, September 12, 2011

One month in

It's been a little over a month since we arrived in Taipei. I still can't give an honest assessment of how I like it because I live in a hotel where my dirty laundry is returned to me in a lavender scented basket (promptly) and everyone sees me and automatically speaks English to me... The hard choices I make each day revolve around things like what kind of muffin I'd like to eat at breakfast (blueberry, mixed berry or apple?! Ugh, so hard! Maybe I'll take a chocolate croissant instead... ugh... I don't know!) I never have to know how to say anything in Chinese to the taxi cab drivers because the door guys tell them exactly where I need to go - on the way back I just hand them a card that has the hotel's info in Chinese. So yes, I don't think this will be my reality once I move out.

Speaking of moving out...

I think we have chosen our apartment. We were told in the beginning that you have to compromise because no apartment is perfect. This is very true. I saw no fewer than 30 apartments with five different brokers. Poor Henri saw them all, too. In and out of the car into apartments with no A.C., not easy for a baby.

The main differences between a classic american apartment and a classic taiwanese apartment that I observed are:

>The kitchens are WAY smaller and most have no oven! Most have 2-3 burners on the countertops and that's it. 
>Instead of dishwashers, many have dish dryers, which do just that.
>The floors are either marble, tile or wood. The humidity is so high here they don't mess with carpet.
>They put the washer/dryer out on a balcony, which is where many people hang their clothes to dry. 
>Outside of the front door of your would be Taiwanese neighbors you have an assortment of shoes, umbrellas and other items for heading out. When we walked into cleaned units we had to look around sans shoes. 

I found the whole experience a little stressful. Looking for a home is always difficult in a new city as you don't know which neighborhood to choose. Maxime and I normally chose to live near his hotel and that has worked well for us in the past. Then we had Henri. I'm no longer working and so I have to really live in the apartment with Henri so our priorities have shifted from convenience to livability. 

We chose to live in Tianmu (considered the suburbs) which has a very large expat community. The European and American schools are located there so there are lots of families. Not only are there three department stores nearby (Taiwanese version of a mall, sort of) there is a movie theatre and .... Drum roll please... A Chili's. Yes, the chain restaurant I frequented as a college student is now lookin' real good...

We are working on a contract on an apartment and if all goes well we will be out of the hotel on or around October 1. Then the fun will begin... ( who's going to make our bed and bring us fresh towels?)

No comments:

Post a Comment